Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Recruitment Process and Other Trials

So I quit my job, sold my sports car and got a temping job – I’d been told it was a six month recruiting process… oh dear. Now, two years on, I’m only just about to start my training. The reason for this? There are a few. I decided to apply just as a massive national campaign was in full swing, swelling applicant numbers significantly. Additionally the force I’m joining will accept everyone who meets the national admission standards, whereas many other forces cherry-pick the top candidates in any given campaign. Furthermore, Centrex (the recruitment and training organisation for the police) revised the selection process to give a much better quality of candidate overall, meaning many more decent candidates got through. The result? I will end up temping for two years in total, plus I miss out on the decent pension scheme by 3 DAYS! This last part is the fault of a former employer, a multinational so inept that something as simple as an employment reference took them ten weeks to generate. No wonder they are closing offices left, right and centre, what a total shower of bastards. Oh well…

No comments: