Saturday, September 09, 2006

Oh S***...

I think I've just put a dent in my career prospects.

So there I was at a recruitment evening for my force, answering eager applicants' questions as they clamoured around me, desparately keen to hear what this new recruit thought of The Job. I was enthusiastic, honest, entertaining (I hope) and above all setting the right impression with candidates and their families. I turned round to get another glass of water and was pounced upon by a very, VERY senior officer. My enthusiasm by now had been polished to a mirror-finished PR's dream. I gushed over the quality of the course, my tutors and fellow students. Then I stepped on a metaphorical landmine:

very, VERY senior officer "Well, that's very nice, but tell me, what problems have you experienced?"
A rather foolish me "We're in this difficult position where there are not enough tutors or vehicles to go round. We're having to double up, which is very frustrating as one of the students invariably has to take a back seat. It's a great hinderance and my unit really needs more tutors and resources to function properly..."
With that I got an icy stare for a few moments, and Mr very, VERY senior officer glances down at my name badge. I smile inanely. The icy stare melts into a puddle of distain.
very, VERY senior officer "You must understand that to give your unit more tutors would mean taking experienced officers off the front line, and that's not what the public wants..."
He thanked me for my time and wondered off, I got on with approachiing the next eager candidate.

The thing is, my tutors, sergeants and inspector are all unhappy with the staffing levels of my unit. They comment on this fact on an almost daily basis. I was merely voicing an honestly-held opinion that is reflected by my managers.

I'm half-expecting a 'chat' from my inspector on Monday.

I think I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

4 comments:

ExtraSpecialCopper said...

I wouldnt worry about it - he will probably know exactly what you are on about anyway!

Anonymous said...

Don't keep your mouth shut. Say what you think, just keep it professional and respectful. Standing up for what you believe is going to take you far and others will respect you for it (although not all!).

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't worry at all - I was just the same to VERY senior officers in the RN and I'm sure I'll be the same if and when I get in as a PC.

I've met too many simpering w**kers in my time, so I'm sure he would have appreciated your honesty.

Anonymous said...

If there's a branch of the Public Services in the UK that does anything useful which has all the manpower it needs, I've yet to meet it.