Saturday, September 23, 2006

Sympathy for the Devil

A funny thing happened the other day. I was sitting in a patrol car at some traffic lights with my tutor, and a car pulled alongside. My tutor gave the driver a sideways glance, and then did a double-take. The driver was nicked for driving whilst disqualified and no insurance a year back, and then a year before that for the same offence - each time by my tutor.

'Excellent!' I think as the blues go on and the suspect pulls over. I get really annoyed by people driving without licence/insurance/MOT/RFL or whilst drunk/high/disqualified. He got a few months last time, he's a persistent offender, how dare he take the piss on my doorstep. 'This should be a good result!'.

So we get him out, have a word, and he pulls a provisional licence out. No 'L' plates on the vehicle, his missus in the passenger seat. The DVLA say disqual. until test passed. The missus says she has an international drivers permit and a UK provisional. She says she's lived here for years. I nick him. He's upset, protests he can drive, claims he's insured, his other half can supervise, his kids are in the back - I just want to get him back to the nick.

I book him in, in interview he's convinced he is able to drive legitimately. He's got his test booked next week, already done his theory. All the documents are in order, he can produce them at his home. We bail him to seek advice and see the docs. At his place all is in order, it seems. He and his wife are very pleasant, it really does appear that he's trying to do the right thing now. His wife is heavily pregnant, and as we leave I feel a lot of sympathy for them both, as does my tutor.

There's still a couple of sticking points though. First, he had no 'L' plates, second, his wife is driving on an old foreign licence - you're only allowed to use those for one year from when you settle in the UK - and third, how the hell did these people get insurance with his record and neither of them having a full UK licence?

We speak to a traffic sergeant, and rather unusually his eyes light up. The missus as a supervisor is a red herring - no L plates means he's guilty of the offence. We're chuffed. Well, actually, we're not. Over refs we discuss the benefits of sending this guy down (as will undoubtedly happen if convicted). We agree to sleep on it - neither of our consciences are settled. Surely it's a bit harsh to get this guy sent down for forgetting to put 'L' plates on? A simple oversight, surely. After all, he only got his provisional a few weeks ago, and it's the first UK licence he's held.

On the next shift, we call his insurance company. And my sympathy evaporates. They've not got a scooby about his convictions, or the fact neither of them have full licences. They cancel the policy on the spot. We run the circs by our sarge and get the nod to charge. The lying git is back in to answer bail next week. I can't wait...

5 comments:

The Blue Pimpernel said...

Having been made to look like a twat by several people early on in my service, I now look for ABC - Assume nothing, Believe nothing, Challenge everything. Good blog by the way, I did the residential course, 8 1/2 years ago now, it's interesting to see how the new system works. Keep going!

ExtraSpecialCopper said...

Had my fair share of eing made to look a twat. Like Midlands PC, I now assume nothing nor do I believe anything. Maybe its just me being cynical about everything and everyone.

The general said...

I get made to look a twat almost every day. Sometimes by our own staff. But hey, they'll come again.
Top work fella.

Anonymous said...

1 Comment Close this window
Anonymous said...
Ah you learn quick grasshopper... remember the ABC of policing out on them mean steets!!

A: Assume nothing
B: Believe nothing
C: Confirm everything

Good hunting... Sgt Knighty

9:06 PM

David Sanders said...

Hi - hope you don't mind me contacting you via your blog. I'm in the process of compiling a book on true police stories and was wondering whether I could use this one; no problem if not.

More info here: http://policeshortstories.blogspot.com/

Many thanks
David